XHTML 2: metaAttributes examples

From: Freek Dijkstra <public@macfreek.nl>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:06:36 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

To whom it may concern:

On http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-metaAttributes.html there are a few
examples that were confusing to me.

23.1. Metadata Attribute Collection
A few examples in this section use the "dc:created" property. For example:

property="dc:created">2004-03-20</meta>

It seems implied that this is a valid property of the Dublic Core
namespace, given the reference later to this namespace:

However, "created" is not defined in version 1.1 of the Dublin Core (as
far as I can tell). It is mentioned at
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/ though.

A casual reader may be inclined to incorrectly assume he/she can use the
dc:created property, while in fact it is undefined. I suggest to simply
change the example.

23.3. Metadata as Content
The example in this section lists (among other lines):

Though the dc:date spec does not formally specify the formatting of the
content, it does recommend to follow the style as set forth in
http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime

Again, a casual reader may be inclined to think that this is the
recommended way of specifying dates. I recommend to change it to 2004-03-23.

Kind regards,
Freek Dijkstra