Re: [XHTML 2] 24.2 Position of param elements (PR#7753)

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:03:16 +0100, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
wrote:
> I need to apologize.  I did not mean that I was looking for text for
> this one small section of the document. I could think of many perverse
> situations for every element (what should a browser do when it finds a
> div inside of a span?  a div inside of a p?).

Given that creating a DOM for XML is more or less well defined that is not
really a problem. At least, not from a visual point of view.

> The point I was trying and failing to make earlier is that it is
> impractical to attempt to address all of these.  Actually, I maintain it
> is by definition impossible.

In my opinion it is possible. It is quite possible to define clear
processing rules that are both easy to implement and easy to write. For
example, you could define that attributes that do not match the production
that is defined for the attribute value MUST be ignored. So that, UAs can
not by any means interpretid <div role="bogus"> as <div role="navigation">.

It is already shown by for example CSS 2.1 that this is not impossible to
do. SVG Tiny 1.2 will eventually (and does already for a bit) show the
same. I'm not sure why you think it is impossible given that it is already
being done and appreciated a lot by implementors.

No clear error handling is exactly what brought the web at the point it is
today.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>