Re: [XHTML 2] Image Map Attribute (PR#7744)

From: Steven Pemberton <xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:53:47 -0600 (CST)
To: jim@jibbering.com
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org

> Dear HTML Working Group,
>
> Instead of inventing new syntax for describing regions of images, please
> re-use the semantics from the SVG path data attribute -
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/paths.html#PathData (I believe this may be a
> duplicate issue, but I have never seen a response to the previous)

Thanks for the comment. In fact the syntax we use predates SVG by several years.
While we are sympathetic to aligning them, we decided to leave image maps as is,
since they are already very widely deployed, and let people use SVG for
SVG-style image maps.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton
For the HTML WG