From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
To: Mike Housman <housmanbox@hotmail.com>
CC: www-html-editor@w3.org,  www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Requests for revising the XHTML 2.0 specification.
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:44:33 +1000

Mike Housman wrote:
>1. Please allow MIME type text/xml+xhtml in the XHTML 2.0 specification.
>This presents less security risk than MIME type application/xml+xhtml.

Firstly, neither of those MIME types exist, although I believe you are
referring to application/xhtml+xml.  Secondly, what security risks? Thirdly,
you should read why text/xml and other text/*+xml MIME types are not
recommended [1].

>2. Please allow IFRAME in the XHTML 2.0 specification. Microsoft Internet
>Explorer treats the OBJECT tag as ActiveX which is disabled by me and many
>other web users for security reasons, and thus many webpages do not display
>properly. Many webmasters would prefer IFRAME in XHTML 2.0 compliant
>webpages.

The behaviour of a broken and insecure browser is no reason alter the spec,
especially when many other browsers don't suffer from the same problems.
And besides, <object> in XHTML 2 is in a different namespace from XHTML 1.x,
and so no browser supports it at all.

>3. Please allow the SRC attribute for the DIV element in the XHTML 2.0
>specification. This would enable the use of DIV as an alternative to the
>IFRAME and OBJECT elements.

The src attribute applies to almost every element in XHTML 2, but what
difference does it make by using <div> instead of <object>?

>4. Please create a new comment element with start tag <!> and end tag </!>
>to replace [or be an alternate to] the current comment syntax: <!-- comment
>-->.

Why?  The comment syntax is defined by the XML recommendation and <!> would
be illegal in XML since "!" is not a valid name [2]

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#xml-media-types
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-Name

--
Lachlan Hunt