Re: Draft suggestion: "normal" needed

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:58:57 +0200
To: Mike-GBHXonline <mikecherim@gbhxonline.com>
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org

Mike-GBHXonline schreef:
> In HTML I need to use this:
> himself.</p>
> So I can get this result with or without styles.
> /Hmm, that's a /great/ idea/, he thought to himself.
> Without having to do this:
> I'm pretty emphatic that this is really needed. Your thoughts?

and it should not be used. The semantic element <em> ("Indicates
emphasis") is appropriate instead. See also:

Now for your case, there are two possibilities:

The nested <em>s is probably what you need, and if they are not by
default styled as non-italics when nested inside another em, you can
make it do so with the following CSS styling:

em { font-style: italic; }
em em { font-style: normal; }

On a final note, I strongly recommend you to use semantic (structural)
elements only, in combination with CSS. It being the ‘correct’ choice
aside, it also greatly improves the maintainability and flexibility of
your website.