separator abuse

From: Sjoerd Visscher <sjoerd@w3future.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 20:24:59 +0200
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
CC: xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com

Hi,

With the recent separator discussion on www-html I was more or less
convinced by others that a separator is needed to markup some books.

But in the new WD I see this example:

<nl>
<lable>Navigation</label>
<li href="/">Home</li>
<li href="prev">Previous</li>
<li href="..">Up</li>
<li href="next">Next</li>
</nl>

This an absolute abuse of the element, and the reason why I was against
it in the first place. The semantics of separator in this example cannot
be united with the other example of a separator between two paragraphs.

I now think that the chance for abuse is too big, and the number of
cases where separator has real use is too small. So separator should be
dropped.

What this example also shows is that the nl stucture is unsuited for
popup-menus, because menus contain grouped items.

--
Sjoerd Visscher
http://w3future.com/weblog/

--