From: Jeff Laiosa <jeff_laiosa@ncsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:57:39 -0500
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

their tutorials on Applets. I wrote to them because their tutorial says
to use the <APPLET> tag when embedding applets in an HTML document. The
HTML 4.01 Specification, says this tag is deprecated in favor of the
<OBJECT> tag. Sun's response indicates that the HTML 4.01 Specification
is incorrect and that the <APPLET> tag is not deprecated. Who is right?
I have included both original messages below but have taken out the names

Sun wrote:

The w3 site is incorrect.  The APPLET tag is not deprecated.  I suggest
you refer to the Java Plug-in guide as the most recent and accurate
resource on this.  We are in the process of updating the applet
tutorial.  You can find the guide here:

You can see that chapter 3 discusses the APPLET and OBJECT tags.

the Jnava Tutorial

Jeff wrote:

On the W3C Site:

it says,

APPLET is deprecated (with all its attributes) in favor of OBJECT.

Your tutorial on Applets,

Trail: Writing Applets

suggests using <APPLET> which is deprecated.