Re: id Attribue For script Tag (PR#8617)

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:58:01 +0200
To: "Grant Husbands" <www-html-editor@grant.x43.net>
Cc: "W3C HTML Editors" <www-html-editor@w3.org>

> I've recently been validating a document that has an id attribute on a
> script tag. According to the XHTML 1.0 DTD, that seems to be valid.
> According to the XHTML 1.1 DTD, it does not seem to be valid. However,
> Appendix A in XHTML 1.1 does not list the removal of that id as a change
> from XHTML 1.0.

In fact it is the other way round.

'id' was not allowed on <script> in HTML4, and so therefore nor in XHTML1.

However, in the second edition of XHTML1 we added 'id' to *all* elements.

The second edition of XHTML1.1 has not been finalised yet, awaiting the
second edition of XML Schema, but you will find 'id' applied to all
elements there too.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton
Chair, W3C HTML Working Group