Re: Comments on XHTML Metainformation module 22 July WD

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:47:43 -0400
To: "Ralph R. Swick" <swick@w3.org>
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org, public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

* Ralph R. Swick <swick@w3.org> [2004-09-06 20:45-0400]
> Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xhtml2-20040722/
> I read only sections 19 Metainformation Attributes Module and
> 20 Metainformation Module and followed some of the references
> so if any of my questions are answered in other sections please
> accept my apologies and consider this a suggestion to add more
> cross-references.
> Overall I am excited to see these two sections proposed for
> XHTML.  These two modules have the potential to permit integration
> of RDF graphs into XHTML documents in a way that should be a
> relatively small learning curve for XHTML users.  I am disturbed,
> however, by the lack of explicit connection to RDF semantics.  The
> module is eminently suited to expressing RDF semantics, and to use
> RDF to give precise interpretation of the semantics of the new
> XHTML vocabulary, but sadly this opportunity has not been taken.
> It ought to be straightforward to say that the URI that is the
> value of a property attribute corresponds to the URI that names
> an RDF property, that the URI that is the value of an about or
> resource attribute corresponds to the RDF subject and that the
> metadata value, whether specified by the content attribute or
> by element content, is the RDF object of a statement.  This would
> then make it possible to define a normative GRDDL [1] transform
> from this metadata syntax to an RDF graph.  I hope this can be
> rectified in a future Working Draft.

I'd just add that one reason to make this connection, beyond avoiding
fiddly corner cases already studied in the RDF world, is to make it
clear that there are a range of existing RDF vocabularies out there
which can now be plugged straight in to XHTML2 documents. The pages at
http://www.schemaweb.info/ ->
...give a partial directory of these, and there are others in progress
(eg. work at icra.org to migrate their content labelling efforts to have
an RDF representation).