HTML 4.01, Section 8.1.2 confusion

From: Ben Winslow <rain@bluecherry.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:25:53 -0400
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Hello,

I have been asked by Tantek Çelik to file an erratum against HTML 4.01,
section 8.1.2 [1], suggesting that the final bullet point reading "User
agent default values and user preferences." be stricken because
"...[the] last bullet point doesn't make sense..." and "...it has
nothing to do with the document..."

This suggestion comes from the our conversation on public-css-testsuite
[2] where Gecko's (Mozilla's) inheritance of the language from the
user's preferences was deemed unacceptable (as far as the :lang()
selector is concerned.)

I would like to see what the outcome of this report is before opening a
bug against Mozilla.  Please CC replies, as I'm not subscribed to this
list.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.1.2
[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2004Jun/0002.html