HTML spec - when does form submission occur?

From: Robert Stroud <R.J.Stroud@ncl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 16:16:23 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

Hello,

Apologies if I've missed something obvious, but I can't find anything
in Chapter 17 of the HTML 4.01 spec about the circumstances under
which a form gets submitted. There's a description of what happens
when the form is submitted, but not what causes it to be submitted.
Maybe you consider this aspect of the browser's behaviour to be
outside the scope of the specification, but I didn't find a statement
to that effect either.

Specifically, I'm interested in what happens if you press <RETURN>,
and whether's there's a default submit action that you can suppress.
Some quick experiments with a couple of browsers suggest that you can
submit a form without a submit button by pressing <RETURN> in a text
item, but this behaviour doesn't seem to be documented.

Thanks,

Robert Stroud