Re: Guidelines on DTD declaration

"Eswara Prasadh" <eswaraprasadhkr@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I encounter the following error when trying to do xml transformation
>
>   The declaration for the entity "HTML.Version" must end with '>'. I am
> trying to troubleshoot this way. Guess its to do with the declaration.

An HTML 4.01 document is an SGML document and not an XML document, so
if you use an XML tool to transform that HTML document, it is unlikely
to work.  In this particular case SGML allows comments inside an entity
declaration, but XML does not.  You'd have to convert your HTML 4.01
documents into XHTML 1.0 documents, e.g. by using HTML Tidy, before
doing XML transformation.

> Is it mandatory to declare this way?

>  or is it ok to declare this way [to avoid the above said error.]

I'm afraid I cannot find the difference between the above two.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium