Question about XHTML

From: feo <ulalah@terra.es>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:52:13 +0200
To: <www-html-editor@w3.org>
I hope this is the right address to ask you this question:

I read the XHTML specification, and decided to translate a HTML project to XHTML. Once made all the changes required for this purpose, I put in the document code the label <!DOCTYPE> for the XHTML specification, and no matter whether I use strict DTD or transitional, the page layout gets disarranged, not obeying strictly the corresponding CSS, but I've found a way for using a DTD specification and a correct layout:

<!--
-->
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

I think this a strange behavior. Isn't it?

Thank you.

F. Ortega