xhtml-print: RFC3391 interpretation question: how much visual sep aration ends a chunk?

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) <jim.bigelow@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:51:41 -0400
To: www-html-editor@w3.org, Elliott Bradshaw <Elliott.Bradshaw@Zoran.com>, don@lexmark.com
Cc: xp@pwg.org

I'm looking for opinions on the interpretation of RFC3391 [1] since it is
normatively referenced by XHTML-Print [2].

RFC 3391 says,
   An Application/Vnd.pwg-multiplexed entity contains a sequence of
   chunks.  Each chunk consists of a chunk header, a chunk payload and a
   CRLF.

     - The chunk header consists of a "CHK" keyword followed by the
       message number, the chunk payload length, whether the chunk is
       the last chunk of a message and, finally, a CRLF.  The length
       field removes the need for boundary strings that Multipart uses.
       (See section 3.1 for the syntax of a chunk header).

     - The chunk payload is a sequence of octets that is either a
       complete message or a part of a message.

     - The CRLF provides visual separation from the following chunk.

There are several situations where a single CRLF does not provide visual
separation since the CRLF added to the document simply terminates a line
rather than adding a empty line.  For example in an XHTML-Print document
didn't contain a terminating CRLF and adding a single CRLF  would give the
result shown below in example 1:

CHK 0 0 LAST

Rather than the following, example 2, I expected from reading the spec:

CHK 0 0 LAST

This could also occur when interleaving images and the root document.

I think this issue will have a large impact on interoperability between
printers and producers of multiplexed documents.  So I'd like to get  other
people's interpretations of this matter.

If I don't hear from anyone, I'll assume agreement that the multiplexed
document should contain visual separation at the end of the chunk, as in the
example 2.

Jim

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3391.txt
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-print/