Datatypes in modularization of XHTMNL in XHTML schema

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:25:01 -0400
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

Looking at the datatypes module I wonder why more use isn't made of
schema simple types. For example, the Datetime type is declared as

   <!-- date and time information. ISO date format -->
   <xs:simpleType name="Datetime">
     <xs:restriction base="xs:normalizedString"/>

Why not derive from xs:dateTime instead?

Almost all the types strike me as more restrictable than has actually
been done. For example, URIs is:

   <!-- a space-separated list of Uniform Resource Identifiers, see [URI] -->
   <xs:simpleType name="URIs">
     <xs:list itemType="xs:string"/>

Conceptually it feels like it should be

   <!-- a space-separated list of Uniform Resource Identifiers, see [URI] -->
   <xs:simpleType name="URIs">
     <xs:list itemType="xs:anyURI"/>

Even the types that don't exactly match a schema primitive type could
constrained by a pattern facet. I think a more strictly typed XHTML
schema could be useful for both documentation and testing, even if
browsers were unlikely to use it as part of their parsing and
rendering process.

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)