Re: Notification: XML-Events/6246 (script as handler)

> From: "David Landwehr" <DLandwehr@novell.com>
> Subject: script as an XML Event handler

> It seems that the script element is not specified as an XML Event
> handler and what the behavior should be. Is this intentionally and if so
> what would the example from the XML Event specification mean in XHTML
> 2.0?
>
> Example from XML Events (2.3.1 ex. 1):
> <script type="application/x-javascript"
>         ev:event="submit" ev:observer="form1">
>    return docheck(event);
> </script>

Yes this is deliberate. We decided to split catching events from handling
them to give more flexibility to applications. The examples in XML Events
are non-normative and meant to be suggestive of the things that could be
done (in fact if I remember right, all examples were taken from other specs,
and modified to use XML Events).

At the coming FtF we will be discussing requirements for the companion spec
to XML Events, namely XML Handlers. I plan to have a draft requirements
document ready.

As for what it might mean, I would suggest the same as:

    onSubmit="docheck(event)"

on the relevant element.

Best wishes,

Steven