  • From: Vicente Luque Centeno <vlc@it.uc3m.es>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:58:27 +0100
  • Subject: Re: W3C Home page in XHTML Basic
  • To: site-comments@w3.org
  • CC: lesch@w3.org
Hello,

I was wondering ... when W3C pages (at least the Home Page at a beginning) could
be supposed to validate as XHTML Basic?

It seems (according to the messages on this list) that XHTML Strict renders OK
at most well known browsers. :-)

It would be really nice if MOST (ALL is a bit difficult, I suspect) W3C pages
could be XHTML Basic.

I promote XHTML Basic for most of my pages. When impossible (inputs whose type
is file, hr, sup, sub, nested tables, ...), I suggest XHTML Strict. When
impossible (target in other windows, ...), I suggest XHTML Transitional. I think
this is the best way to improve accessibility. All layout rendered by CSS.
Shouldn't be?

Browsers will not adhere these well known specs unless they are successfully
promoted.

P.D: I think it's a mistake XHTML Basic can't define hr, sup nor sub elements
:-( They should be there, anyway.

Best regards.