Suggestion for improving markup

From: Keith Duncan <k.m.duncan@dundee.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:02:46 -0000
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

I am refering to "mailto:" instances.

Sometimes it is possible for people to type a correct email address
in the mailto part, but get this wrong in this "visible" part.

**** WRONG ****

I know that some people prefer to use a friendly name as the visible
**** RIGHT ****

For the instances where the email address is the same for both (ie
for mailto: and for between opening and closing tags - ie "visible"
part) - is it not possible to handle this in a different way?

Perhaps it is laziness, carelessness etc...
However if web-authors only needed to type an address once, then fair
enough it may still be incorrect, but at least could stand a greater
chance of being consistent. I think it is better to be consistently
wrong, rather than to be inconsistent. Though neither is ideal.

Unfortunately I don't have any answers :-(
...just think it would be good if it could be improved in some way?

Then there are other issues relating to harvesting of e-mail

Im sure that you (like a vast proportion of other users) hate SPAM
mail / junk mail.

I would gladly welcome any attempt to re-think how email addresses
are coded in HTML and any anti-SPAM measures would be a bonus -
though realise the solution here is less likely to be markup

Keith Duncan
Research Technician
Electronic Engineering and Physics Division,
Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences,
University of Dundee
Dundee DD1 4HN

Tel +44(0)1382 344570
Fax +44(0)1382 348313