Suggestion for improving markup

From: Keith Duncan <k.m.duncan@dundee.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:02:46 -0000
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

I am refering to "mailto:" instances.

Sometimes it is possible for people to type a correct email address
in the mailto part, but get this wrong in this "visible" part.

e.g.
**** WRONG ****

I know that some people prefer to use a friendly name as the visible
part...

e.g
**** RIGHT ****

For the instances where the email address is the same for both (ie
for mailto: and for between opening and closing tags - ie "visible"
part) - is it not possible to handle this in a different way?

Perhaps it is laziness, carelessness etc...
However if web-authors only needed to type an address once, then fair
enough it may still be incorrect, but at least could stand a greater
chance of being consistent. I think it is better to be consistently
wrong, rather than to be inconsistent. Though neither is ideal.

Unfortunately I don't have any answers :-(
...just think it would be good if it could be improved in some way?

Then there are other issues relating to harvesting of e-mail
addresses....

Im sure that you (like a vast proportion of other users) hate SPAM
mail / junk mail.

I would gladly welcome any attempt to re-think how email addresses
are coded in HTML and any anti-SPAM measures would be a bonus -
though realise the solution here is less likely to be markup
orientated.

/(eith

--
Keith Duncan