XHTML 2 - not backward compatible?

From: <k.m.duncan@lineone.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 00:24:46 -0000
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

From what I read XHTML 2 is not intended to be backward compatible with its earlier
versions (HTML4 /XHTML 1.0 / XHTML 1.1).

Does this then imply that documents conforming to XHTML 2 may not render properly in
older browsers (e.g. NN4.x)?

Working in a community where users are reliant on many different types of browser -
some old, some new I can imagine a situation where in order to "conform" to the latest
standard (as and when presumably XHTML 2 comes as a W3C recommendation) I need
to code to XHTML 2.0 While on the other hand to provide support for users running older
browsers I need to provide a second set of pages "pre-XHTML 2"? - I really don't think
so :-(

Also I would be interested in knowing how this ties in with Web Accessibility Initiative and
WCAG. - If XHTML 2 is not backward compatible, does this not seem to suggest that
there may be inherent issues re. accessibility where people are stuck with old browsers?
Hmmm..

On the other hand I sometimes wonder exactly how many browsers/platforms/display
types should be catered for when designing pages ;-)
Am I really expected to cater for 2^n browsers (where n increases exponentially with
time).

Presumably its only a matter of time before XHTML2 Mobile Profile comes along?
Im still looking for an example of something written in XHTML Mobile Profile which will
work with WAP1.1 browser - but that's another story...
;-)

Oh what fun Fun FUN :P

--
Keith Duncan