htaccess and htpasswd

From: Nick Covella <ncovella@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 03:06:20 +0900 (JST)
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

Gentlemen:

Some of our web pages are controlled by the
.htacces/.htpasswd protocol.  Currently,  we have no
way of "logging" out the user short of the user
exiting their browser.  Ultimately, I would like to
add a logout button/link to the pages that have the
htaccess/htpasswd so that the user is not burdened
with having to re-start their web browser.

What do I need to do to reset the login when this
button/link is added?

If there are any public domain implementations or cgi
scripting examples that perform this type of
processing that you could direct me to, it would be
greatly appreciated.

-Nick