Confused about DTD

From: Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:49:24 +0900 (JST)
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

To whom it may concern,

I have been looking at the "strict.dtd" file posted with the HTML 4.0.1
specification.  Oddly enough, this DTD file is riddled with syntax
errors, according to two different parsers that I have asked, and my
reading of the specification.  I looked in the errata and did not see
anything to indicate that this was a known problem.  Am I missing something?

I realize that this is a DTD for a somewhat old version of HTML, but I
am working on software to support legacy DTDs in certain circumstances.

-Eric Johnson.