xml definition problem on some web server

From: Andreas Schmid <andreas@edogo.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:00:50 +0900 (JST)
To: <www-html-editor@w3.org>
Dear W3C,

This is some feedback to XHTML 1.0 documentation posted at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

I developed a couple of website with the following top of the pages
according to the documentation:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html
                        PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

After uploading this pages to my web host provider and trying to load
the first page I got the following error:

            Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in
/home/aschmid/edogo-www/members/andreas/andreas.html on line 1

After some checking I realized that my HTTP sever must not understand
the first line xml directive and outputs an error. To make this work the
xml has to put as a comment into the document as follows:

            <!--?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?-->

Then everything is fine and works. Also the directive is taken into
consideration. I noticed, because without that some of my javascript
wouldn't execute properly.

Just wanted to bring this up and you might want to add a comment on this
to your documentation.

Regards,
Andreas