Your XHTML Templates

From: Diederik <j.dehaas14@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 13:42:45 +0900 (JST)
To: <wasp@webstandards.org>
Cc: <www-html-editor@w3.org>

Hello,

I really applaud your initiative, as I make my own webpages all
standards compliant. And by doing so make them more appealing and they
work across (new) browsers :-)

I think it's really good that you provide templates, but I found a
possible error.
The 3 flavors of XHTML are XML 'applications' and as a XML application
the document should begin with a XML declaration, like <?xml
version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>.

Although I must note that not even http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/ does
it!!
As the Recommendation page uses encoding "ISO-8859-1", they should have
according to the quote below of the XHTML 1 Recommendation!

========= Start part of section 3.1.1 from the XHTML Recommendation
=========
Here is an example of a minimal XHTML document.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html
     PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
  <head>
    <title>Virtual Library</title>
  </head>

Note that in this example, the XML declaration is included. An XML
declaration like the one above is not required in all XML documents.
XHTML document authors are strongly encouraged to use XML declarations
in all their documents. Such a declaration is required when the
character encoding of the document is other than the default UTF-8 or
UTF-16.
========= End part of section 3.1.1 from the XHTML Recommendation
=========

Regards,