no default inclusion of device-specific events

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:05:03 -0500
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
[the following has gained a rough consensus in the WAI-PF group who are tasked
to represent the WAI domain in this sort of review.  - Al Gilman, co-chair,

WAI PF Issues: XML events

Importing all of DOM2 events

  The specification currently incorporates all the DOM2 events into its
  namespace. Charles argued that it should no import all the mouse
  triggers. This was discussed briefly by Charles, Raman, and Al, but no
  conclusion has been reached.

Proposed resolution:

The events included in XML Events by default should be only the
device-independent events that W3C wishes practice to migrate to in the future.

Initial practice will indeed include support for legacy device-specific events,
but this should be accomplished by temporary i.e. removable means and not
within the default.  The default set we should be prepared to live with forever

In the caucus on January 17 I believe I heard Steven Pemberton say that his
intention in XHTML 2.0 is to have device-independent events only.  This is the
core that should be the default event repertory, not the status quo.