Re: XHTML-1.0 2nd Edition BUG

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 06:37:42 +0900 (JST)
To: whisper@oz.net
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org
Hello,

"David LeBlanc" <whisper@oz.net> wrote:

> Appendix C.3 suggests the use of <p /> for paragraphs containing no content.

It doesn't "suggest" such usage, rather it recommends not to do so.

> Paragraph elements are not defined with an EMPTY content model, and Section
> 4.3 says end tag omission is prohibited. I find this confusing and
> contradictory.

XML allows such usage, thus it's syntactically allowed in XHTML.
"3.1 Start-Tags, End-Tags, and Empty-Element Tags" of XML 1.0 [1] says
as follows (emphasis by me):

    Empty-element tags may be used for any element which has no content,
    *whether or not it is declared using the keyword EMPTY*. For
    interoperability, the empty-element tag should be used, and should
    only be used, for elements which are declared EMPTY.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-starttags

> HTML-4.01 prohibits <p> tags containing <p> tags, yet Appendix B does not
> proscribe this.

Appendix B lists element prohibitions that *cannot be expressed by
XML DTD*, as noted in section 4.9.  The content model of the 'p'
element is not the case.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org