XML events & id

From: Mark Baker <mbaker@planetfred.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:40:52 -0500
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Hi all,

I don't know the solution to this problem, nor am I sure anybody does, but
using ID/IDREF to reference elements outside the xml-events namespace has
issues.

The problem is that outer namespaces may use a different id syntax than
does XHTML.  Without a DTD or Schema, there's no way to know which
attribute is of type ID.  So the "target" attribute (or any IDREF) cannot
reliably be used without a dtd/schema.

FWIW, this wasn't a problem when the draft was about XHTML Events, because
XHTML provided the necessary context for interpreting ids (though not for
host & integration set documents, I guess).

MB

Mark Baker, CSO, Planetfred.
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.
mbaker@planetfred.com