HTML 4.10: Legal ranges for Percentages?

From: Hugh Greene <hgreene@netphysic.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:50:00 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Hi there,

I just noticed that the HTML 4.01 spec doesn't say anything about the legal
values for Percentage lengths.  I assume they have to be positive integers
but do they have to be less than or equal to 100?  The answer may be
different in different contexts, I suppose (e.g., directly inside the BODY
versus inside a TABLE).  Some browsers allow values greater than 100, as
far as I can see (e.g., Internet Explorer for IMG widths and heights) and I
don't see any harm in that.

I checked the errata but I didn't see anything on this -- maybe worth a
Clarification (but maybe not ;-).  I haven't checked other versions of
HTML, nor CSS, SMIL etc.

Thanks,
Hugh Greene.