Possibly error in HTML 4.01 Specification?

From: Mueller, Uwe <uwe.mueller@sap.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:01:28 +0100
To: "'www-html-editor@w3.org'" <www-html-editor@w3.org>
Hello,
In Section 7.2 "HTML version information" of the HTML 4.01 Specification
from the 24th of December 1999 can be read:
The  <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html> HTML 4.01 Strict DTD
includes all elements and attributes that have not been
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/conform.html#deprecated> deprecated or do not
appear in frameset documents.

In my understanding this means that it is sufficient for an element or
attribute to be included that one of the above conditions is fulfilled. In
other words, a deprecated element or attribute is included if it does not
appear in frameset documents, and an element or attribute that appears in
frameset documents is included if it is not deprecated.

But if I add then the deprecated elements and attributes to obtain the
Transitional DTD then already all elements and attributes are contained, and
there would be no need for the Frameset DTD.

What's meant probably is that 'The
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html> HTML 4.01 Strict DTD includes all
elements and attributes that have not been
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/conform.html#deprecated> deprecated' and 'do not
appear in frameset documents.'

This would exclude elements and attributes that are deprecated or appear in
frameset documents (or both), so it makes sence to define the two other
document types.

I didn't find this on the errata page, so I think I should tell you this (in
case it is not a misunderstanding on my side).

Best regards,
Uwe Müller

Blank_Bkgrd.gif
(image/gif attachment: Blank_Bkgrd.gif)