Re: Inconsistency in HTML 4.01 spec?

Øyvind B. Fredriksen wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
>
> I would like to draw your attention to the HTML 4.01 specification, section
> 17.13.3 Processing form data. In that section a 4-step procedure is
> described. The description of step 3 states that `The form data set is then
> encoded according to the content type specified by the enctype attribute of
> the FORM element.´ However, step 4 states that `... If the method is "get"
> and the action is an HTTP URI, the user agent takes the value of action,
> appends a `?' to it, then appends the form data set, encoded using the
> "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" content type. ...´
>
> To me, this seems inconsistent. Or have I misunderstood something?

No, your point is well-taken, and I think I figured out the problem.
I believe that "step 4" should probably end with:

 "Finally, the encoded data is sent to the processing agent
  designated by the action attribute using the protocol specified by
  the method attribute."

If you "parse" the document that way, then the steps make sense,
and the HTTP case that follows is an example of how to apply
the four steps.

The spec should obviously make the end of step four more obvious.

Let me know if this seems correct to you,

 - Ian

> In the case that you should agree (at least partially) with my view as
> expressed above, I would like to propose to alter the descriptions of steps
> 3 and 4 as follows: The description of step 3 should read as follows:
>
> `If the method is "get", the form data set is then encoded according to the
> "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" content type. If the method is "post",
> the form data set is encoded according to the content type specified by the
> enctype attribute of the FORM element.´
>
> In the first bullet of the description of step 4, the phrase `the form data
> set, encoded using the "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" content type´
> should be replaced by `the encoded form data set´.
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Øyvind Bolme Fredriksen
> Software Innovation ASA
> P.O.Box 100 Kokstad
> N-5863  BERGEN
> NORWAY
> Tel. (+47) 55 98 74 20
> Fax (+47) 55 98 74 40

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783