Re: possible error report for "Modularization of XHTML, W3C Recommendation 10 April 2001"

Heiko Hahn <Heiko.Hahn@Adobe.COM> wrote:

> while playing around with the examples for the specification
> ""Modularization of XHTML",
> I noticed that all the xml- and html- files (e.g. inventory.xml) start
> right away with
> the DOCTYPE declaration.
>
> As I understand the XML-specification, these files are well-formed, but not
> valid.

No.  "4.3.3 Character Encoding in Entities" of XML 1.0 says:

   Although an XML processor is required to read only entities in the
   UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings, it is recognized that other encodings are
   used around the world, and it may be desired for XML processors to
   read entities that use them. In the absence of external character
   encoding information (such as MIME headers), parsed entities which are
   stored in an encoding other than UTF-8 or UTF-16 must begin with a
   text declaration (see 4.3.1 The Text Declaration) containing an
   encoding declaration:

  cf. http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#charencoding

Thus, parsed entities stored in UTF-8 or UTF-16 don't have to begin
with a text declaration.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org