html comments?

From: John Montbriand <montbriand@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:15:21 -0700
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Hello,

re: http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/

I have been looking for some information about placement of html
comments.  Namely, <!-- ... --> style things in html text.  Now,
such comments can be used to comment out sections of html, and
and as such, they may contain html tags.  Now, I'm wondering,
is the converse true?  i.e., can html comments be placed inside
of html tags?  I've looked through he standards and there's no
discussion of this.

One would assume that they are a form of tag delimited by "<" and ">",
but looking more closely at this, it would appear that, as a matter of
fact, they are defined as text delimited by the longer patterns

So, I'm wondering, what's your take on this?

Thanks,

John