Re: XHTML 1.0 errata

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 12:45:15 +0900
To: derhoermi@gmx.net
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org, www-html@w3.org

>   * XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD: the xml:space attribute declaration is
>     consistently given as "xml:space   (preserve)     #FIXED 'preserve'"
>     this conflicts with XML 1.0 aswell.

No.  Actually XML 1.0 was corrected in Second Edition to clarify
that this is legal.  See:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#sec-white-space

> Other general issues:
	<snip/>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2000OctDec/0024.html

This is not an error, either.  "3.7 Media Types" of RFC 2616 defines
the syntax of media types in HTTP as follows:

       media-type     = type "/" subtype *( ";" parameter )
       type           = token
       subtype        = token

       parameter               = attribute "=" value
       attribute               = token
       value                   = token | quoted-string

Thus, an attribute value may be a token or a quoted-string.  HTTP
uses MIME-like format, and "5.1.  Syntax of the Content-Type Header
Field" of RFC 2045 notes as follows:

   Note that the value of a quoted string parameter does not include the
   quotes.  That is, the quotation marks in a quoted-string are not a
   part of the value of the parameter, but are merely used to delimit
   that parameter value.  In addition, comments are allowed in
   accordance with RFC 822 rules for structured header fields.  Thus the
   following two forms

   are completely equivalent.

See also:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2001JanMar/0282

> Some of the errors were reported very often and it's somewhat
> frustrating to see, that the errate page doesn't deal with _any_ of
> these issues.

We are preparing XHTML 1.0 Second Edition to incorporate those errata.
Due to publishing moratorium before W3C Advisory Committee Meeting
and WWW10 Conference, it will not be published until May, but I fully
expect that it will become available before June.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org