The element SPAN

From: Tapio Markula <tapio1@gamma.nic.fi>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:42:37 +0200
To: www-html-editor@w3.org, dsr@w3.org
I write at this way at
http://www.nic.fi/~tapio1/Teaching/Attributes2c.html#SPAN:

SPAN is semantic a quasi-inline, quasi-structural element. It's an inline
version of DIV, but DIV is an element container, and
so therefore, is SPAN too. That's why they called it SPAN to try to take away
some of the ambiguity. At that mean it's half inline and
half structural element. The behavior is inline like in the element B (it
doesn't have natural semi block behavior like DEL). Even if inline elements
are not actual structural elements, it is not incorrect to classify SPAN in
XHTML 1.1 modularization in semantic meaning as the Inline Structural
element. I would however call this module just Inline Span, because the
classification of W3C create confusion, what is the difference in behavior
between inline and block level elements.
Tapio Markula
I like
 __
____ Cascading
______ Style
______   Sheets

I have made something also with XML and XSL
E:mail: tapio.markula@nic.fi
http://www.nic.fi/~tapio1/index.html (Finnish)
http://www.nic.fi/~tapio1/index_e.html (English)
http://www.nic.fi/~tapio1/Opetus/ (CSS2)