Re: doctype inconsistency

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:19:14 -0400
To: Paul Arveson <paul@arveson.com>
CC: www-html-editor@w3.org
Paul Arveson wrote:

> According to the HTML 4.01 specification, the only legal options for the
> DOCTYPE declaration contain a URI to a DTD at W3C.  However,
> W3C's own documents do not contain this URI, e.g. on pages of the
> specification such as
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html
>
> This seems to be an inconsistency, and not only that -- it seems to imply
> that in the future, all web pages are going to have to link to a server at
> W3C in order to be rendered properly???
>
> Please write something to clarify this inconsistency (if not error) in the
> specification of version declarations.

I think you're right that this statement in section 7.2 is too strong:

   "HTML 4.01 specifies three DTDs, so authors must include one
   of the following document type declarations in their documents."

I believe that the formal public identifier is required,
but the system identifier is not.

 _ Ian

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783