all PE names need world-unique prefixes

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:39:34 -0500
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
CC: chris@w3.org
In order to avoid collisions when modules are
combined, all PE names need world-unique prefixes

For example,

<!ENTITY % title.element  "INCLUDE" >

should be

<!ENTITY % org.w3.title.element  "INCLUDE" >

in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/dtd_module_defs.html#a_modules_basicmods

This was discussed back in Feb:

"
09:44 [DanC]    that is: if the Open Catalog Consortium defines
%catalog-prefix and the Open Puchase Order Consortium uses the name
%catalog-prefix, I can't use both of their modules together, right?
09:44 [DanC]    s/uses/defines/
09:44 [Shane]   That's correct.  It would fail.
09:45 [Shane]   Of course, you would know it failed pretty much right
away ;-)
09:45 [Michael-NM]      Right.  So perhaps %occ.org.catalog.prefix
[...]
09:54 [Shane]   I think the output from this meeting is that such a
prefix should be a requirement."

-- http://www.w3.org/2000/02/25-xhtml-irc

I assumed from Shane's acknowledgement that the HTML WG
would consider this to be an issue raised during last
call, but it hasn't been addressed in any update
to the HTML specs, so I'm sending it here for
auit-trail purposes.

The latest internal draft that I can find still
doesn't have prefixes.

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Group/2000/PR-xhtml-modularization-20000705/dtd_module_defs.html#a_modules_basicmods