error?

From: Andreas Schorr <andreas.schorr@daimlerchrysler.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:00:17 +0200
To: <www-html-editor@w3.org>

I'm a little bit confused. In your HTML 4.01 Specification I read:

"    _parent
              The user agent should load the document into the immediate
              FRAMESET parent of the current frame. This value is equivalent
              to _self if the current frame has no parent."
(from: http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-frame-target)

Especially the last sentence is confusing, because all Webbrowsers I have
ever used (Netscape, Internet Explorer) do NOT react equivalent to _self.
If a frame-set has no parent, then they load the document into the
full window. Do all Webbrowser ignore the HTML 4.01 Specification,
or is this a scribal error?

Even more confusing is the next paragraph:

"     _top
              The user agent should load the document into the full,
              original window (thus canceling all other frames). This value
              is equivalent to _self if the current frame has no parent. "

The last sentence is the same as in the paragraph above. But this
means I cannot end a frame-set, if it doesn't have a parent! Does
this make sense?

Andreas Schorr
email: andreas.schorr@informatik.uni-ulm.de
             andreas.schorr@daimlerchrysler.com