can't make sense of modularization conformance section

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 09:51:15 -0500
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
I'm trying to figure out the conformance section of
Modularization of XHTML

It says:

	The document type must be defined using one of the implementation
	methods defined by the W3C (currently this is limited to XML DTDs,
	but XML Schema will be available soon).

but I'm not sure what a document type is; but then I see:

	document type
		a class of documents sharing a common abstract structure.
		The ISO 8879 [SGML] definition is as follows: "a class of
		documents having similar characteristics; for example,
		journal, article, technical manual, or memo. (4.102)"

so I see that a document type is a class (i.e. a set) of documents.

But then the conformance section continues:

	3.The document type must include, at a minimum, the Structure,
	Hypertext, Basic Text, and List modules defined in this specification.

What does that mean? i.e. what does it mean for a document type
(a set of documents) to include a module? Module seems to be
informally defined:

		an abstract unit within a document model expressed as
		a DTD fragment, used to consolidate markup declarations to
		increase the flexibility, modifiability, reuse and
		understanding of specific logical or semantic structures.

But I don't see how to make sense of item 3 above.

Please see:

	The essentials of a specification
	Tim BL Oct 1999

I note that my earlier review comments are still unanswered:

identify XHTML DTD by URI, not by FPI Dan Connolly (Thu, Feb 10 2000)

"validate against"??? Dan Connolly (Thu, Feb 10 2000)

Please take that comment about URIs vs. FPIs to apply to
the modularization naming rules as well: