SYMM-WG comments on HTML-Basic last call

From: Cohen, Aaron M <aaron.m.cohen@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:40:36 -0800
To: "'www-html-editor@w3.org'" <www-html-editor@w3.org>
Cc: "'symm@w3.org'" <symm@w3.org>
HTML-Basic editors:

Here are the collected comments on the last call draft of HTML-Basic from
the SYMM Working Group:

-----------------------
XHTML Basic is useful for text format with links in SMIL mobile profile.
There is no critical problem with it, but some I have some questions on
clarification.
-----------------------
In Section 1.3.1.
As a SMIL media object, a text decorated with internal style markup also
seems to be useful because it may save additional transactions in some
cases.
-----------------------
In Section B.2.
DTD says which module is "INCLUDE" or "IGNORE".
e.g. <!ENTITY % XHTML.bidi "IGNORE">
"IGNORE" means that an element of the module is canceled in DTD,
If XHTML Basic clients want to extend some module, the document should say
<!ENTITY % XHTML.bidi "INCLUDE">, or not necessarily?
I mean, to specify a subset, "INCLUDE"/"IGNORE" in DTD may work.
In extending the subset, which process should be done?
Do we need a document profile which says that this module is "INCLUDE" here?
or we can use an extended module without declaration anywhere.
-----------------------
I reviewed XHTML Basic for potential issues relating to SMIL Boston and
didn't notice any conflicts. XHTML Basic does include the img tag, as we
discussed in a prior conference call as a tag that also appears in SMIL
Boston. However, the img tag already exists in XHTML so this isn't an XHTML
Basic-specific issue.
-----------------------
SYMM has discussed using XHTML as a basis for Standard Streaming
Text.  Requiring support for the img tag makes this somewhat prohibitive.

There's a note in the list of required modules at the bottom that says:
          (*) = This module is a required XHTML Family module.
-----------------------
The link:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xhtml-basic-20000210/#ref_xhtmlmod

...is broken.

What does XHTML Family module mean?  The list of "XHTML Family Modules"
appears to be:
     Structure Module*
         body, head, html, title
     Text Module*
         abbr, acronym, address, blockquote, br, cite, code, dfn, div,
         em, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, kbd, p, pre, q, samp, span,
         strong, var
     Hypertext Module*
     List Module*
         dl, dt, dd, ol, ul, li

This is a much more manageable list to use a basis for streaming
text.  This should not hold up progress-- but is a concern.  A possible
future Standard Streaming Text proposal shouldn't be forced to include
everything.

That's all the reviewers came up with.
-Aaron