SYMM-WG comments on HTML-Basic last call

From: Cohen, Aaron M <aaron.m.cohen@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:40:36 -0800
To: "'www-html-editor@w3.org'" <www-html-editor@w3.org>
Cc: "'symm@w3.org'" <symm@w3.org>
HTML-Basic editors:

Here are the collected comments on the last call draft of HTML-Basic from
the SYMM Working Group:

XHTML Basic is useful for text format with links in SMIL mobile profile.
There is no critical problem with it, but some I have some questions on
In Section 1.3.1.
As a SMIL media object, a text decorated with internal style markup also
seems to be useful because it may save additional transactions in some
In Section B.2.
DTD says which module is "INCLUDE" or "IGNORE".
e.g. <!ENTITY % XHTML.bidi "IGNORE">
"IGNORE" means that an element of the module is canceled in DTD,
If XHTML Basic clients want to extend some module, the document should say
<!ENTITY % XHTML.bidi "INCLUDE">, or not necessarily?
I mean, to specify a subset, "INCLUDE"/"IGNORE" in DTD may work.
In extending the subset, which process should be done?
Do we need a document profile which says that this module is "INCLUDE" here?
or we can use an extended module without declaration anywhere.
I reviewed XHTML Basic for potential issues relating to SMIL Boston and
didn't notice any conflicts. XHTML Basic does include the img tag, as we
discussed in a prior conference call as a tag that also appears in SMIL
Boston. However, the img tag already exists in XHTML so this isn't an XHTML
Basic-specific issue.
SYMM has discussed using XHTML as a basis for Standard Streaming
Text.  Requiring support for the img tag makes this somewhat prohibitive.

There's a note in the list of required modules at the bottom that says:
          (*) = This module is a required XHTML Family module.
The link:

...is broken.

What does XHTML Family module mean?  The list of "XHTML Family Modules"
appears to be:
     Structure Module*
         body, head, html, title
     Text Module*
         abbr, acronym, address, blockquote, br, cite, code, dfn, div,
         em, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, kbd, p, pre, q, samp, span,
         strong, var
     Hypertext Module*
     List Module*
         dl, dt, dd, ol, ul, li

This is a much more manageable list to use a basis for streaming
text.  This should not hold up progress-- but is a concern.  A possible
future Standard Streaming Text proposal shouldn't be forced to include

That's all the reviewers came up with.