FW: xHTML 1.0 and non-well-formed XML

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:24:34 -0500
To: <www-html-editor@w3.org>
[Note: I posted the following January 28 to www-html (and a followup yesterday),
but because of a clarification by Dan Connolly, I realized this was the more
appropriate venue].

The xHTML Recommendation, section 3.2, User Agent Conformance[1], item 9 says
that Form Feeds (ASCII 12) should be treated as whitespace.  But according to
the XML 1.0's Character Range[2], form feeds are not legal.  XT chokes on
documents containing them, as does nsgmls -wxml.

If xHTML 1.0 is supposed to be well-formed XML, how can it even allow form feed
characters, much less recommend how they should be treated?

/Jelks

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#uaconf
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#charsets