xml:space attribute and 19991210 XHTML PR

From: Cox Andy <cox_andy@bah.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:27:59 -0500
To: <www-html-editor@w3.org>
I have not seen this discussed on the public mailing list or posted in the
errata, but I believe it is an error in the XHTML Proposed Recommendation
[1], posted 10 December 1999 .

According to section 2.10 of the XML 1.0 spec [2], the xml:space attribute,
if used in a DTD, must "be given as an enumerated type whose only possible
values are 'default' and 'preserve'." In all declarations of xml:space in
the XHTML Strict [3], Transitional [4] and Frameset [5] DTDs, xml:space is
declared as an enumerated type whose only possible value is 'preserve'.

Thanks,

Andy

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/PR-xhtml1-19991210
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
[5] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd

| Andy Cox               E-mail: cox_andy@bah.com |
| Booz·Allen & Hamilton                           |

"The more original a discovery, the more obvious it seems afterwards." -
Arthur Koestler