Re: An error

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:20:45 -0500
To: Pramual Suteecharuwat <spramual@Chula.ac.th>
CC: www-html-editor@w3.org
Pramual Suteecharuwat wrote:

> Dear W3C HTML 4.01 editor,
>
> I have downloaded a W3C HTML 4.01 Proposed Recommendation to read and
> found that (if not my mislead) the first 2 lines on page 36, topic On SGML
> to HTML, it says that "<!ELEMENT DL - - (DT|DD)+>" means "The DL element
> must contain one or more DT or DD elements in any order".
>
> I think that this must be wrong because on the previous page it says that
> "A|B means either A or B must occur, but not both".
>
> This should be written like this "The DL element must contain one or more
> DT or DD elements BUT not both DT and DD mixed together"
>
> Am I right?

Hello Pramual,

Actually, they can be mixed, so the following is legal:

<DL>
  <DT>..
  <DD>..
  <DT>..
  <DD>..
  <DT>
  <DT>
  <DD>
  <DD>
</DL>

I realize that the "but not both" part of the description may be
confusing.
But when you apply the "+" operator outside of the (A or B) construct,
you
end up getting "At least one, possible mixed, in any order".

 - Ian