Minor error in HTML 4 specification re: multipart/form-data

From: Clover Andrew <aclover@1VALUE.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:24:42 +0100
To: "'www-html-editor@w3.org'" <www-html-editor@w3.org>
Hi,

I believe I've found an bug in the HTML 4.0 specification. It remains in the
4.01 draft, and if there is a further erratum from there I can't see it on
the
W3C site.

The problem is in the second of the example POST requests in section
17.13.4.2.

(http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/interact/forms.html#h-17.13.4.2, at the very
bottom.)

The example includes Content-Disposition headers for two uploaded files
where the
disposition is "attachment". Earlier in 17.13.4.2 it is implied that the
disposition should instead be "file":

> The file name may be specified with the "filename" parameter of the
files,
> in a 'Content-Disposition: file' header of the subpart.

This seems to agree with RFC2388, which says almost the same thing, only in
words that don't actually constitute valid sentences. I don't have a user
agent here that supports multiple file uploads, so I can't comment on
whether this matches common practice, if indeed there is any.

That's all. Pretty minor really, but I thought I ought to tell someone!

Yours,

Andrew Clover
Technical Support
1VALUE.com AG