xhtml-building and namespaces

From: Nir Dagan <nir@nirdagan.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 10:21:39 -0400
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
This is in regards to http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xhtml-building-19990910

I do not quite understand why when a new module is introduced
the namespace of the whole new xhtml version has to be changed.

The semantics of W3C's xhtml do not change, so I should keep W3C
namespace.

It would make more sense to me if only the module will have a new
namespace. This will allow applications who are not familiar with my
module to understand a great deal of the document.

Having the whole document using a new namespace seems to kill
the purpose of namespaces:
If my namespace is applied to the whole document how would a regular
browser will know that this is regular xhtml?

That is instead of the examaple in 5.5:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//MyOrg//DTD My XHTML Extensions//EN"
          "http://www.myorg.com/DTDs/myorg.dtd">
<head>
<title>MyOrg Document</title>
</head>
<myelement>A test element <myotherelement /> </myelement>

I would have:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//MyOrg//DTD My XHTML Extensions//EN"
          "http://www.myorg.com/DTDs/myorg.dtd">
      xmlns:myorg="http://www.myorg.com/xhtml-extentions-1">
<head>
<title>MyOrg Document</title>
</head>
<myorg:myelement>A test element <myorg:myotherelement /> </myorg:myelement>
yet browsers unfamiliar with my extentions render it well.

Regards,
Nir.
Nir Dagan
Assistant Professor of Economics