Re: HTML 4.0.1 (fwd)

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 11:12:35 -0400
To: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
CC: www-html-editor@w3.org, mneedlem@dra.com
Dave Raggett wrote:

> Mr Raggett
>
> I was reviewing the HTM 4.0.1 specification that was recently put our for
> review. It mentions that the meta autorefresh example was taken out since
> its not part of the specification. It suggests server side includes
> instead.

Actually, it says "server side redirects". From 7.4.4:

  <QUOTE>Instead, automatic page forwarding
         should be done using server-side redirects.</QUOTE>

> As far as I can tell this is not exactly the same thing. Perhaps
> you could explain how a server side include could do this.
>
> The functionality wanted is to be able to change the page after a defined
> time period.

I do not know whether HTTP 1.1 [1] allows delays before
redirects. I can look into this.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

> Expires or Location in HTTP wont do this - expires because it doesnt force
> the browser to do anything and location because that would be an immediate
> referral
>
> It would be nice to have some standardized mechanism either in HTTP or in
> HTML

I believe HTTP is the proper forum for this.

> I realize that just because it was removed from the spec doesnt mean
> Browser vendors will stop supporting it - but it would potentially be
> easier to count on if there was a standardized mechanism for doing this

I agree, but since it's not standard HTML 4.0, it was removed
from this version of the spec.

Thank you for your comments,

 - Ian