Re: Error in http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424

lcastro@cookwood.com wrote:

> Or at least an inconsistency:
>
> In section 7.4.2, it says
>
>         "Every HTML document _must_ have a TITLE element in the HEAD section."
>
> But in section 7.4.1, it says that the HEAD section is optional (both the
> opening and closing tags).
>
> That doesn't seem to jibe.

The HEAD section is not optional. The DTD says:

    <!ELEMENT HTML O O (%html.content;)    -- document root element -->
    <!ENTITY % html.content "HEAD, BODY">

which means that in an HTML document, both HEAD
and BODY sections are mandatory and must appear in that order.

While the section is mandatory, the start and end tags for
HEAD are optional. This makes it difficult for browsers to
detect where the head ends and content starts.

So the spec doesn't say that the HEAD section is optional,
only the start and end tags. I hope this helps.

 - Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814