(unknown charset) Re: XHTML and CASE-SENSITIVITY

I am speaking for myself, not for W3C or the HTML Working Group:

Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com> wrote:

><QUESTION ID=1>
>But WHY was lower case chosen over upper case?
></QUESTION>

A choice had to be made, because XML leaves you no choice.

><QUESTION ID=2>
>And why were the thousands(?) of web developers around the world never
>consulted about this, or given the chance to vote?
></QUESTION>

The inital working draft invited comments on this. On top of that some straw
pools were carried out on some mailing lists (there was some discussion on
this one). Of the replies I got about 50% were for Upper and 50% for lower.
(I happen to be one of the ones who prefer lower)

><PROBLEM>
>We're the ones who have to use it, so to not consult us about this is
>extremely rude, uncaring, and mean.
></PROBLEM>

See above

>-Walter
> who will continue to use upper-case HTML tags, XML be damned.

Uppercase will certainly work on down level browsers, whether it will work
on thin clients is another matter.

Frank

Frank Boumphrey

XML and style sheet info at Http://www.hypermedic.com/style/index.htm