Re: error in the html 4.0 specification for meta

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 15:49:39 -0500
To: Jeremy Weinberger <jeremy@isp.nwu.edu>
CC: www-html-editor@w3.org
Jeremy Weinberger wrote:

> There is an error in the documentation for the meta tag at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#edef-META .
> You provide an incorrect example of using the http-equiv=redirect attribute
> to redirect to a new url. The example, <META http-equiv="refresh"
> content="3,http://www.acme.com/intro.html"> , will not redirect, but simply
> refreshes the same Location every 3 seconds. The correct syntax for
> redirection is:
> <META http-equiv="refresh" content="3;url=http://www.acme.com/intro.html">
> The separator is not a comma, but a semicolon. Furthermore, one must
> specify url= if the user agent is to load a new url. Please document this
> behavior as part of the specification.

 Jeremy,

Thank you for letting us know about this. The HTML WG
is already aware of this discrepancy but has not
yet announced whether the specification is in error
or the implementations. We should be able to update
the errata sheet soon with a correction.

Thank you,

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)