Clarification needed in HTML 4.0 Spec?

From: Håkon Styri <styri@online.no>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 13:16:08 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
I refer to http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1

A user in a norwegian html newsgroup asked a question about how he
should decide between using ABBR and ACRONYM. It appears to me that
the examples in the spec are correct (though the spanish example is
peculiar), but the prose is confusing acronyms and abbreviations.
The reason may of course be that a number of dictionaries doesn't
have a good entry for acronym. (I had to look up in Encyclopedia
Americana to find a good explanation.)

I guess you should consider to clarify the standard on this topic.

--
Håkon Styri
Research Manager