Re: [Fwd: Meaning of Strict / Transitional / Framesets]

On Sun, 2 May 1999, eric.armstrong wrote:

> Resending, in case this went to the wrong place the first time.

The distinction originates with the last W3C HTML working group
which decided that we should have different DTDs, one intended
for use with style sheets and another that kept the old presentation
tags and attributes. The term "transitional" was chosen to emphasise
that we expected it to die out as support for style sheets matures.
The third DTD was for frameset documents.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)