Re: HTML spec crashes netscape

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 14:23:44 -0500
To: Lorrie Faith Cranor <lorrie@research.att.com>
CC: www-html-editor@w3.org
Lorrie Faith Cranor wrote:

> When I try to load the following section of the HTML spec, Netscape 4.07
> under Win95 always crashes:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/intro/sgmltut.html

Hi Lorrie,

Yes, this is a known Netscape bug (the page itself
is valid HTML). One solution is to disable style
styles (and/or scripts) for that page.

I haven't heard from Netscape about why the
page is causing the browser to crash, so I
haven't altered the HTML spec to avoid it.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I'd like to publish
a revision of the spec in December, and will have
a fix by then.

Thank you,

 - Ian

--